Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Less is More


There are phrases I hate. Many of them. People say kind things all the time, and 99% of the time they are just that – kind. But once in a while someone uses one of these phrases that makes my fillings hurt. Generally the speaker is still being kind and I appreciate the intent, but the words themselves just make me cringe.


Last night I heard one of them during Michelle Obama’s speech. The speech was great, and I hope her husband is elected, but I just sighed at the phrase “the least among us.” Can’t argue with her sentiment, we should be respectful of everyone, including the “least among us.” But who is that? Maggie? Probably. ……… Ouch……..

Yes, Maggie is dependent on others for everything and yes, I realize that is a burden on society and yes, I believe people should respect her and everyone else. And yes yes yes, I get the Biblical reference. I understand and agree with the sentiment. It’s the actual words I take issue with. I just don’t believe for a minute that she is less than anyone, and certainly not that she is the least. Wouldn’t mass murderers be lower on the list? Please tell me child molesters are lower.

“The least among us” really doesn’t square with “All men are created equal,” does it? It suggests that not only are some of us less than others, but by implication, that some of us are better. If there’s a “least” does that meant there’s a “best?” And if so, why doesn’t he or she show themselves so we can fix some of the problems in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.