Friday, May 8, 2009

Kids of all ages

Mother’s Day is at my house this year. I am having the family, my mom and siblings over for lunch. Generally, this would be a huge undertaking because my family is so enormous. I have written before that my mother has 20 grandchildren (see 14 of the 20 in the pic)produced by her seven children and their spouses. If half the crowd shows up you have to plan food for 20 people, many of them men between 15-25 years old with huge appetites. Generally, we have parties at my mom’s house because it is the only one big enough to comfortably fit everyone, and they are always potluck because it is too much for one person to undertake.


Not this time.

I believe Maggie will be the only grandchild present on Sunday. None of the cousins is coming. In addition, one brother and a couple of spouses are not going to make it. We will be 12, and I do not have to include Maggie in the food count. Cooking for 11 middle-aged folks is very easy. It’s like cooking I do when my boys are home.


The “kids” are working, away at school or living elsewhere. No more babies, no more grammar school kids (Maggie’s the last and she graduates next month). They have grown up. All of my siblings live in California, six of us within 60 miles of San Francisco and one in LA. The offspring are mostly in California, but there are representatives in Nevada, Washington, Arizona, Montana, Colorado, Vermont and Maryland. The oldest cousin has three children of her own; the next generation has started. We have come full circle.

Obviously I know where my boys and each of my nieces and nephews are and generally what they’re up to, but it wasn’t until we were planning this that I realized we’ve reached a new plateau in the family. It must be interesting for my mother to see this. This is the second generation to leave the nest.


It is one of the benefits and drawbacks of being a mother. You create the nest, feather it, bustle around it and then send your birdies off into the world. For some this “empty nest” is a problem. Not for me. I am enjoying it while I can. I know that just as the nest becomes quiet and comfortable, they come back. And they bring people with them. Just ask my mother.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers out there.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful Mothers Day Sally, you are truly
    a wonderful mother :)

    Amanda and the girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, especially the last paragrah -- it's refreshing to read something that's not sad about the "empty nest."

    Happy Mother's Day to you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.