Monday, June 15, 2009

Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

The last day of school was Tuesday June 9. Before I could even worry about the long summer stretching out in front of me, summer school started.

Yep, it started this morning and lasts for five weeks. The day is shorter and starts earlier than the regular year, so we have to adjust. The school bus will arrive at 7:24AM, a full hour earlier than the regular year and Maggie will return home at 12:30. I drove her this morning because of all the supplies we had to transfer from the old site. I left her with her familiar and wonderful nurse and with all the same classmates as the regular school year. It is in a different place with a different teacher and aides, but there is enough familiar that I am not too worried about her.
When I came home, Steve asked if Maggie was scared. I said no. The only one who looked scared was the teacher. She had four nonverbal kids in wheelchairs and was clearly overwhelmed as she walked into the classroom with a basket full of breakfast items. It did not help when the nurse said only two of the kids eat. The teacher said quizzically, “I beg your pardon.” And the nurse advised that two of them have g-tubes. (Gastrostomy or feeding tubes for those of you not familiar with the lingo). Breakfast was the first activity of the day and two of the four could not participate. The next activity was to make pudding, but Maggie cannot even touch that stuff or she gets terrible hives. The nurse knows all that so Maggie is safe. The teacher looked stricken and I took that as a sign to leave. The last thing that poor woman needed was a parent making judgments. The teacher will be great I’m sure, but it may take a few days to get the “deer in the headlights” look off her face.

Summer school is chaotic on the best day, and day 1 is a joke. Maggie did fine, but for the first time ever she used her communication device to tell her nurse she wanted to go home. This was at 11:00AM, an hour before the day ended. Maggie came home and crashed. She’s been sleeping for an hour already. Anytime she has a new situation she handles it fine while she’s there and then just shots down to recharge.

It’s a good game plan.


Unrelated: Steve and I went up to the Marin Headlands on Saturday. It was a gorgeous day and we acted like tourists, even though this spot is probably less than 6 miles from my house. How about that view!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous view! My oldest did his research report on the GG Bridge, so that thing has been haunting me. (We can also catch a glimpse from our dining room on a good day).

    You are a brave Mama. The deer in the headlights look would have scared me a little more. Oscar also shuts down in transitions. We've had more meltdowns this week as we move from school to camp mode. (school ended on Thursday, first day of camp today...) It is easier as he gets older -- I know to expect it at least.

    Hope day 2 goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful view. I just love your city.

    As for the first day of summer school -- well that made me laugh. It appears the same in southern California as well. When Sophie used to go to summer school (she's on a Track B schedule now so is in school all summer) we had almost the identical experiences. I hope the rest of the five weeks goes smoothly and Maggie enjoys herself!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.