Thursday, August 20, 2009

Clean the what, now?

Brisco is the family dog. He is 11 and may be the greatest dog in the world. Happily, Brisco the wonder dog is better. I don't think he posted about his problem, but it is resolved.

He had a rather delicate problem. I believe the official diagnosis was ruptured anal gland. (YEOWCH!) I didn't run right to the vet. This dog never has any medical problems. Other than his shots, I think he's only been to the vet three times in his life, I considered whether or not this was a problem for a day or so. The dog was acting fine, but I was not comfortable with things so in we went. It was probably already getting better by the time I took him in , but I had to be sure.

It was not an emergency visit, yet it still cost $395 (ZOMG!) The office visit was a mere $53, the blood tests (all negative) were $190 and the medicine was and other $130+. As I paid the woman at the desk she asked if I wanted to make a donation for the shelter upstairs. I smiled and said, "I think I just did."

The pharmacy tech instructed me how to give the anti-biotics. Then she gave me a small vial of a blue liquid and instructed me to dilute it 10X with water and then gently spray the "anal area" a few times a day and then wipe it to keep it clean.

I'm sorry, spray the what? where?

This 1 oz magic bottle of blue butt relief cost $23. My husband was sure it was windex. (He may be right)

As I drove home from the vet with a sad dog, and an empty wallet I carefully considered the situation.

It is not often that I feel overwhelmed by my situation, but at that moment I did. I said to the Heavens: "You know, I have a 15 year old daughter whose diaper I have to change 8-10 times a day and I'm OK with that.. I don't complain about that. It's part of the deal, I get that. But I have to draw the line at the dog."

I stood my ground. The magic blue butt relief sits on the counter. It was never opened. Brisco recovered

I'm willing to re-sell it cheap. Even if you don't have the same problem, your windows will sparkle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.