Thursday, October 29, 2009

Can't Get There From Here

My freedom is directly linked to the length of Maggie's school day. I have to have all my errands and fun done by 3:00 PM every day. Once she gets home I have to be here. Yes, we have a nurse here but Maggie is a two person job these days. Once she gets home and we get her out of her chair and settled, I can get out for about an hour or so, but I have to be back in time for the next transition to the chair or next procedure. It's a drag, but generally it works.

Once in a while I try something very ambitious and push the envelope a bit. I made plans to go to Sacramento today, which is almost two hours from here. I can take care of things there and be back here by 3(ish). Ambitious, but do-able. Of course that means everything has to go right.

Getting in and out of San Francisco means you have to cross a Bridge. And the fastest way to get to Sacramento is across the Bay Bridge. Because of a stupid accident on Tuesday, the Bridge is closed. That means the 100,000 + cars that use it every day have to find some other way to get into and out of the city.

When I say the accident was stupid, I mean just that. A repair done over Labor Day weekend failed and a 5000 lb chunk of steel fell from the top of the bridge. Horrible, but amazingly only one person was just slightly hurt. The reason it fell? The engineers forgot to account for the vibration of the bridge.


Really? An 8 mile stretch of roadway suspended high over the San Francisco Bay with howling winds and thousands of cars trucks and buses crossing it every day might vibrate? In earthquake county? Who knew? Sheesh! I can feel that thing vibrating when I'm sitting in my car. And I was and English major.

I almost cancelled my trip because the excess time makes this ambitious trip impossible to complete. We have to go north across the Golden Gate to get East to Sacramento. So does everyone else, and it will be S L O W going. But I need to get up there. Steve can't come home early because he has some hearing. I called around and made arrangements to have someone here, but I'm not 100% confident that will happen. I told the nurse even if all that falls through and I''m an hour late, Maggie will be fine just sitting in her chair.
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.