Thursday, February 18, 2010

Going Gaga

Maggie and I started Valentine’s Day much the same way we start most weekend days. She sits in her chair in the kitchen, throwing whatever she can get her hands on and I putter about or just plop down at the table with the crossword. We always have tunes and it HAD BETTER be the Maggie Mix, which is a collection of pop tunes that we downloaded for her birthday party last year. The first song is Single Ladies, Maggie’s favorite and it continues from there. She is delighted.


Valentine’s Day was a little different from other Sunday’s, though, because we had the visiting rugby players staying with us. I kept Maggie away from the pots and pans that she likes to throw so the boys could sleep. I was cooking away preparing for the consumption of mass quantities by the guys. The music was on, but a bit lower than usual. We were enjoying ourselves even if Maggie was limited to throwing the less than satisfying dishtowels.

I heard someone coming down the stairs and said, Maggie, here comes Dad. I poured coffee into the stupid heart mug I bought and said loudly “Happy Valentine’s Day, Dad. I heard a strange voice say,” No, it’s Aaron.” Aaron went to bed earlier than everyone else the night before and was up early too. I offered him coffee but told him he could not use Steve’s cup. He did not seem phased by that. Go figure.

He greeted Maggie and she just smiled at him. I realized this pop music was playing and explained that we have to listen to this because it is the Maggie Mix. He said, “I like this Music, Maggie, this is Lady Gaga, isn’t’ it? “

Maggie’s reaction was instantaneous and delightful. When she heard him say Lady Gaga, she whipped her head around to him and grinned from ear to ear. It was as if she was saying, “Ok, you’re cool” while at the same time basking in the attention from her older brother’s friend. It was a very "teenage girl" moment and four days later it’s still making me smile

It was a moment of normalcy in my very abnormal world.


P.S. February 18 is my dad’s birthday and I miss him. He is looking down on us and smiling. However, he would not have liked Lady Gaga.

Also I need suggestions for Maggie Mix 2, because her birthday is fast approaching

4 comments:

  1. Hi Maggie,

    I've been reading your blog for a while now but I haven't commented until now. I love the idea of a birthday mix CD for your birthday. I think for your birthday mix you should have Fireflies by: Owl City, I Like To Move It from the Madagascar Soundtrack and 1234 by: Feist.

    I hope you have a very happy 16th birthday. 16th is one of the big ones probably the biggest one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it's alright that I'm commenting again so soon but you should get some Backstreet Boys, N*Sync and Mandy Moore. For Backstreet Boys, you should listen to Everybody (Backstreets Back).

    ReplyDelete
  3. black eyed peas!! "tonites gonna be a god nite"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tik Tock by Ke$ha and fireflies by owl city

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.