Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Down and Out

 People are always telling me that they have a terrible cold, the flu, or any number of other ailments and I cluck sympathetically, but I never catch it. I injure myself regularly, but I rarely get ill.  Don't ask me why because it defies common sense. I am overweight, sleep deprived, sedentary, clumsy and yet extremely healthy.  I'm not complaining, mind you, just marveling.

On those rare occasions that I do feel under the weather I try to power through it because there's just too much to do. When I can't  do that I'm really not sure how to behave.  I believe that time should stop and wait for me but it never does.

Sunday night I was hit with a terrible stomach  pain and spent the evening in a ton of discomfort. I was sick. Steve and Maggie were asleep in the chair so I needed to wait to let the nurse in at 11:00PM before I could go to bed (It is impossible for Steve to answer the door when 80lb Maggie is sleeping in his lap). Finally I went to bed and slept fitfully all night.

Steve had to travel yesterday and was gone by 6AM. I got up and did the crazy morning thing and got Maggie off to school. I skipped my obligatory morning cup of coffee, which should have tipped me off that this was going to be a different kind of day. I was fuzzy and not great but not terrible. I  talked to Maggie's doctor and did a few other things. I sat down to work trying to power through this malaise, but  I could not concentrate. At around 9:15 I decided maybe I should lay down for a while.

I took my computer with me, determined to at least do my nursing paperwork that has to be in by Thursday. I set up a ton of pillows on the bed, got my cell phone and the house phone so I wouldn't have to get up. I opened my computer and tried to adjust my glasses to see the screen better. I put the computer down for just a moment. Next thing I knew the phone rang at 10:30 waking me up. Oh, I guess I was tired. I talked to the supply company that sends Maggie's food and feeding supplies arranging for a delivery on Friday. I put down the phone, glanced at my closed computer, took off my glasses and went to sleep.

I woke up at 1:30 in the afternoon! Time did not wait for me at all it just watched me sleep. Maggie's big party is Saturday, I have a gazillion things to do and I slept the day away. I feel a lot better today, but now I'm even further behind than I was.

So it's back to the hamster wheel for me and now I have to run just a little bit faster. Hope I don't fall off.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.