Friday, April 27, 2012

Ch ch ch Changes

I participated in a panel yesterday at UCSF. I do this fairly regularly and I enjoy it. Various groups from UCSF listen to parents of patients, and in yesterday's case to an adult patient as well, while they talk about what works and what doesn't work for families when one is hospitalized. The groups are interested in the feedback because it really is their desire and mission to provide the best care possible.Yesterday's group was the Patient Satisfaction committee, who are even more interested in how to keep Patients satisfied.

As the panel wrapped up  I found out that  tangible change happened as a direct result of my participation in a panel presenting to this group a year ago.  One of the leaders told me that last year I mentioned how difficult it is to leave Maggie's bedside, even to grab a cup of coffee in the morning. She said they instituted the coffee cart on the hospital floors because they had never considered that difficulty until they heard me mention it. That was nice and gratifying.

There was polite applause from the group but that changed to laughter (by most) when I decided to strike while the iron was hot. The second she finished telling me about the change, I said, "Oh, by the way, parents really need to have a glass of wine and cheese around 5PM."

After all, there are documented health benefits and this IS a hospital, right?


Not sure that's going to happen, but you can't blame a girl for trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.