Tuesday, May 21, 2013

School year ending, confusion beginning

The school year is drawing to a close. The last day of school is next Friday may 31. Maggie graduates either Wednesday or Thursday of next week! It would be good if I could figure out which day, but it doesn't matter, I will be there with bells on whichever day it is.

Once school is out, Maggie will be with me for two weeks until summer school starts. Graduation is merely a ceremony for her, albeit an important one. School will continue in the same place until she's 22.

After that - don't ask. I have absolutely no idea what happens then. I am not familiar with any adult programs that are set up for Maggie and her nursing needs and to be honest I've kind of kept my head comfortably buried in the sand about that. At some point I have to get out of "da Nile" and figure that out.

But not today.

For now I'm trying to figure out the next few weeks. I started worked three days a week at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital. I am a Parent Liaison, helping parents navigate the confusing medical system at a huge medical center like UCSF. I like it and I am uniquely qualified to do the job. With Maggie out of school, though, it's going to be much more difficult.

The nurses will just have to come during the day and Maggie and I will have our outings in the late afternoon/evening after they go. That's probably a better mall time for Maggie anyway. We always go in the early morning when it's just old ladies like me there. In the afternoon evenings, there will be kids Maggie's age there.


I have one problem with the nurse who can't do anything without help.  I can't be here to help her and I may have to find someone new to work that shift. It's hard. She loves Maggie and has been part of our family since Maggie was about 6 months old, but I need someone who can do the work.  Perhaps Nurse Ratchet is free.

What to do, what to do.....


Oh fiddle dee dee. I won't worry about that today I'll worry about that tomorrow.

Tomorrow is another day.

And I have a whole week to figure this out.


1 comment:

  1. I don't want to add to the pressure, but I'm watching you as you move forward one full year ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.