Thursday, June 8, 2017

Happiness

It is early, but I am wide awake. I've had two cups of coffee, thrown the frisbee for the dog and read several chapters of a book. Steve is still.asleep. Now I am listening to the birds song and the wind blow through the trees. And there are a lot of trees.
I am in Graeagle, California, a place of unbelievable beauty.  We arrived yesterday at our rented cabin filled with kitschy decor  - lots of bears and moose. It is exactly what we need.
Thus is the calm before the storm. But it is a happy storm approaching.
My son Eddie is getting married on Saturday. His bride, Grace, has really been part of the family for years, the wedding just makes it official. But a wedding is first and foremost a celebration and that is exactly what this wedding will be.
Friends and family start arriving today and keep coming over the next 40 hours or so. I am smiling just thinking about it.
I think how much fun Maggie would have at this wedding and I miss her, but it doesn't make me sad.  I have learned that missing her is different from sadness and grief.  I smile thinking of her joy and just wish she was here. I have also learned to recognize and respect emotions as they come. And this is a good one.
I believe this is called Happiness. I am happy that Grace will be my daughter in law. I am happy that my son is happy. I am looking forward to seeing Tim as Best Man. I am looking forward to the wedding itself.
Steve and I are so proud and happy and somewhat in shock that this moment has arrived. In our minds Eddie is still about 4 years old bossing everyone around.
I wish everyone could be here to share in this happiness, even if it is not on the same level as the mother of the groom. I do wish Maggie was here. I always do. She would probably be happier than me. 
And that is very happy indeed.

This beautiful engagement photo was taken by Grace's mom Kim. It is timeless. 

4 comments:

  1. Sally, to you and your family, the best of EVERYTHING. This post was just what I needed on a drizzly San Francisco morning. We send as much love as we have your way (and with Nina, we have that ❤️ in ♠️s), but we receive so much MORE of it in return...

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is everything. Congratulations and blessings to all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hear the happiness in your voice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a wonderrrfull day, and I am so happy to be officially connected to the family as well. p.s. love that picture, who took it?? hint hint.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.