Monday, January 12, 2009

Face this

Yesterday morning Mag and I were going through the morning routine. I was chatting and asking her questions. She was laughing and answering "Yes" and "No" with her hands. She was headed to the museum with Dad and was excited and happy. She was having so much fun I grabbed the camera. This was her smiling face:


Then I asked her if she had fun visiting her friend on Saturday. Her friend had surgery on Tuesday and is in the hospital. Maggie and I went up there to visit. The child is doing well, but there is pain, for sure. She, like Maggie, cannot talk and uses a wheelchair. When they tried to move her to the chair, her pain was obvious. As soon as I brought up the visit, Maggie's whole affect changed. She stopped laughing and looked at me like this:


She was trying not to cry. I still had the camera and asked if she was worried about her friend and she gave me a very slow "yes"response. I reassured Maggie that her friend was on the mend and that she, like Maggie, is a tough chick. That cheered her up a little.

I'm sorry that I made her sad, but I'm so proud of her for worrying about her friend and for her ability to convey that. She's was laughing again in just a couple of minutes. Don't worry.

You can tell why it's not hard for me to understand her. She's pretty clear.

1 comment:

  1. Those photos help us know Maggie better, but your excellent narrative make the story. Thanks.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.