Tuesday, January 13, 2009

This BUGS me!

Maggie has had a stubborn infection for over two months, maybe longer. She first tested positive for this particular bug in September. It was back in November and has been with us ever since. Ir it has gone and come back. Is it stubborn or recurrent? Who knows? We have tried six different antibiotics. While she is on them, she is fine. As soon as they stop, the symptoms start again.

I tried several times to convince the docs of this, but it fell on deaf ears. All I heard was “no, she’s just getting one illness (read: “cold”) one after another.” I don’t think so. At this point in caring for Maggie, I do not run to the pulmonologist for a cold.

After the last culture grew the same bacteria AGAIN I left a lengthy message about the pattern we have dealt with over the past 60, 90 120 days. They are paying a little closer attention now. Maggie is on three antibiotics. And right now, she is fine. (Ask me when they finish but that will be 21 days.) We are attacking this bug head on.

On Friday afternoon, the nurse from Pulmonology called and very gently suggested the possibility that the bacteria could be here, in my house. Whaaaa? My first thought was, “ Of course not. We take excellent care of her.” And indeed, we do. But the nurse asked, "How often do you change the tubing?" The bacteria could be living in the tubing, especially the tubing that is wet. Well, we change it regularly, of course. How often is regularly? Uh, every couple of weeks. But not the oxygen tubing. That’s less frequent. Oh, am I supposed to change that too? Oh, should I try every week.?

I agreed to consider the possibility.

I have not thought of anything since.

EWWWWW. Of COURSE, it is possible. And, dare I say, probable. Again, EWWWWW.

So now, we are “CSI, stenotrophomonous.” Where are you little microbe? You can run but you cannot hide. Well, yes you can, but now we are looking. Talk about a needle in a haystack. This is more like a needle in a field of hay, or several needles in a field.

Let me just list the tubes in Maggie room. All are on a sliding scale of possible suspects. No that is too ridiculous; I will categorize them instead. There are several categories:
1) the “not likely” which includes gastrostomy tubes and urinary catheters;
2) the possible, including nebulizer tubing and suction tubing;
3) the very likely, oxygen tubing, mist/corrugated tubing, and
4) the obvious: suction catheters (three different types).

In addition to all of those, there is the water in various containers. The water for the mist and the waterthat we clean the suction stuff in and the containers in which both sits. There is the little bag that works with the mist machine to collect the additional water.

All are on my hit list. And there are probably 15 other things I haven’t considered.

I’m sorry; I know this is too much information. But this is how my brain has been working for the past three days. I am a woman on a mission. I have boiled water, vinegar mix and attitude and I am not afraid to use ANY of them.

Be afraid little bug. Be VERY afraid. Your days are numbered.

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh out loud! Litterally, people were coming back and trying to figure out what I could be working on that was so funny! I, too, have been tasked with this mission. In fact, I have some ideas if you would like them... give me a call. If those bugs know you at all, they are very, very afraid!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.