Monday, April 6, 2009

Vista de los Old Folks

My Aunt had a fall recently. Now that she is finally out of the hospital, she needs more care than usual while she returns to her fighting form. That means she has gone into the dreaded Assisted Living situation. No one jumps at the chance to do this. For many senior citizens this means the end of independence and independent decision-making. However, it does not have to be that, it can be a warm community. It can be a place where people mingle, go on outings, eat in the dining room and make new friends. It can be a place with private apartments and your own furniture and help just a button push away. We found such a place for her and she moved in today straight from the hospital.


We are hopeful that my aunt embraces all the wonders of this place. Before getting there she was referring to the place as “Vista de Los Old Folks”, but if you knew her, that would not surprise you. She has a sharp wit and an even sharper mind.


Good news! She was very pleased when she arrived. Her favorite chair was there along with her own television and her own bed. Her clothes are in the closet, a few of her own dishes in the cupboard. The place is clean and nice. She has the buzzer around her neck and help is just moments away. She is ready to get back to her strongest.


Before she arrived today, I went out there with some clean towels. These were the last of the possessions she had requested. Because Maggie is on Spring Break, I brought her with me. She was a big hit there. I have a feeling Maggie will have more friends there than anyone in a very short amount of time. I was pushing Maggie’s wheelchair down the hallway with one hand and holding the laundry basket under my other arm. My favorite moment of the day was when one of the residents stopped me and asked if she could help me. It is a friendly, vibrant place, and people want to get to know you right away. Inasmuch as the woman offering help was using a walker, I am not sure how she would have helped. Nevertheless, I greatly appreciated the offer. I smiled and said, “No thanks. I’m used to this, we do all sorts of stuff one handed.” But I was grinning all the way down the long hallway to my aunt’s apartment.


It’s funny; senior citizens generally do not want to embrace this lifestyle because of the stigma that comes with it. From where I am sitting, it just does not look that bad. Someone cooks, cleans, help you out and drops you off at shopping centers or arranges other outings if you are interested. They need that for middle-aged overworked mothers.


Vista de los Old Folks just might be the perfect spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.