Friday, July 10, 2009

Pesky little BUGS

This is a subtle little bug, but I have to admit ignoring it is not working. I do not feel well.

At first, I figured it was psychosomatic. My mom was not feeling well and she needed a thermometer. I went over there with chicken soup and a thermometer on Tuesday and her temp was over 101. She is very good about staying in bed and taking care of herself and she is back on the upswing. When I left there, I thought I felt clammy, but decided that was power of suggestion.

On Wednesday, I walked the dog around Mountain Lake Park and the slight hill seemed insurmountable to me. I was exhausted and I could not figure out why. When I reached the top, I felt fine, so I dismissed that too.

Yesterday I felt great when I got up but as we were heading down the elevator for the bus, I felt nauseous. Hmm, maybe there IS something going on. I decided to lay low yesterday but that was not to be. At 8:30AM, the school nurse called and said Maggie was not well. This nurse is the calmest most professional woman in the world. If she is concerned, I am concerned. When I asked what was going on she described some coughing fits on the bus and then listlessness. She said “I wouldn’t say she’s unresponsive, but…” That was enough for me. I hopped in the car and headed over there to get Maggie.

We were going to have a day of chick flicks and HGTV, but Maggie perked up as soon as we got home and needed more entertainment than that. I had to just power through the malaise. We drove Tim to his final interview (yes he’s employed! can you say venti latte, please?) and shopped at the Safeway until he finished.

It is always a trip to go grocery shopping with Maggie. I push the wheelchair and pull the grocery basket behind me. Navigation is not easy, especially turns. We are an obstacle for other shoppers, who generally give us a wide berth. However, shopping aisles are getting narrower and full of more displays all the time and there is just not very much room for a wheelchair. We are a sight to behold. As I came around one turn, I knocked Maggie into a display of wine. I held my breath as a couple of cases teetered, but happily, they did not fall. (Maggie thought that was hilarious – the only thing better would have been the actual crash.)

Tim joined us as we were finishing up and I asked him to run back to produce to get me an eggplant and he said let me take Maggie. The two of them RACED across the supermarket while I unloaded the groceries onto the belt (dropping a box of raspberries all over the floor in the process). They came back with Maggie out of breath and laughing. I was exhausted.

I managed to steal a nap for about an hour after the nurse arrived and then had to run an errand with Tim in the late afternoon. Today I feel like I was hit by a Mack truck. I am surrendering to this bug and laying low today. Maggie is back in school and I do not expect and calls (fingers crossed).

I actually had plans to go out with the girls tonight but it appears those will have to be shelved. That is a bummer. Because if laughter is the best medicine, that would probably cure me right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.