Saturday, July 11, 2009

Too Many Cooks

We had a late dinner last night just because I was moving so slowly yesterday. The nurse was already leaving by the time I cooked dinner, so Maggie came into the kitchen to “help” me. This is one of her favorite activities.

Because her wheelchair is so cumbersome and the kitchen so small, there is really just one spot for her to hang out while I prepare dinner or do dishes or whatever. Maggie is parked next to the counter where she can reach the pot drawer and dish towel drawer. If I am cooking at the stove she is directly behind me. I have to make certain that anything breakable is out of her reach because she flings anything she can find. I did recently lose a 40 year old Betty Crocker bowl because it was in the pot drawer and did not survive Maggie’s “cooking”. (My own stupid fault.) The counter top holds the microwave, the coffee maker and whatever else happens to be laying around. I push the coffee maker out of the way and dissuade her from opening and slamming the microwave door because when she does she moves the entire thing. Losing a bowl is one thing, but the thought of the microwave flying across the room is something else again.

As I was starting so late, I just let her do her thing and concentrated on preparing and assembling the eggplant parmesan. It’s easy, but it takes several steps. I kept up a constant chatter with Maggie who would respond by flinging a pot top or utensil onto the floor with a resounding clang. The towel drawer was opening and closing with a force that makes my furniture building, wood loving husband wince. [but he wasn’t home yet, heehee]. I knew what was going on behind me but I was ignoring it and just talking to Maggie about how to make eggplant. She may not have been that interested.

When I finished I turned around to find the drawers pretty much cleaned out and a very satisfied looking Maggie. You can see the drawers opened. Once I picked up the towels, there were the pot lids. Too bad she didn't throw the towels first. It may have been quieter.


I think it was Hell’s Kitchen and she was telling me to hit the road.

Too bad. Dinner was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.