Friday, October 16, 2009

A Halloween Retrospective

Halloween is approaching. It’s time to consider a costume for Maggie. It’s getting tough to keep coming up with things because my husband has done such amazing things in the past. We have to be creative or we will disappoint folks.

When Maggie was little we did the obligatory costume, but there was no thought or life to it. I dressed her up because that is what other kids did. Maggie could not go trick or treating because she cannot eat the candy – snicker bars are NOT the same when delivered through a feeding tube – and, in any event, she cannot do the stairs. We went through the motions, but it felt hollow.

In 2004 Maggie was ten years old. In late October of that year she was being particularly difficult. She was fighting me on everything. Getting in and out of the wheelchair was a fight, changing diapers was a fight, etc etc. I know it was the last week in October because I remember the sequence of events. Her bad behavior - and my reaction to it – changed Halloween for her and for us. Maggie has had the coolest costume ever since.

As I fought to get Maggie into her chair without dropping her I said, “Jeez, Mag, you are Hell on wheels this week.” Cue LIGHTNING BOLT . Hey! you can be Hell on Wheels for Halloween. I dressed her all in red, spent about $3 for a pair of horns and a plastic cape, dressed Maggie all in red and Steve made cardboard flames to cover her wheels
.
Suddenly Halloween was fun.

This was followed by a leprechaun in 2005, complete with the pot of gold behind her head. The “gold” was candy and the kids at school loved this one.


And the viking girl in 2006. Note, braids were attached to a scary helmet. This may be my favorite. It is so hard to choose.


Because the race car driver in 2007 was also very cool.. This is the first year Maggie had the
trach. We were collecting scarves to cover the trach for aesthetic and hygienic reasons. The costume was inspired by a gift from my brother Pat and his family. They went to Italy and brought her a Ferrari Scarf. That was all we needed. Maggie’s school nurse at the time, Nurse Sally knew what Maggie’s outfit would be and to our surprise, she came dressed as a mechanic that day. (can't find that picture)

Last year, 2008, may have taken the cake. Or at least prepared the cake. She was a chef. Complete with her own oven.




So, what’s on tap for this year????? Well, we are working on something.

No. That’s a lie. I’m not doing anything. I gave Steve an idea and he is engineering something in Gepetto’s workshop. Stay tuned for a couple of weeks. We will have the big reveal before you know it !

For now I’m heading off to watch my son compete in the mountain bike collegiate Nationals at Northstar. Check back in Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Those costumes are amazing. Does Maggie enjoy it -- she sure looks like she's having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the 'hell on wheels' idea and may suggest it to the kid I PCA for - is that okay? please let me know, thanks. Ekie (ekaterina84@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.