Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Living on the Edge

I had lunch with a friend yesterday. Her daughter also has significant phycical disabilities and this year has had terrible health issues as well (but she's doing great now). During lunch she apologized because she had to check her phone several times to deal with a crises. Since my middle name is crisis management, I completely understood. However, this crises had nothing to do with her daughter. It was one of those annoying issues that can happen to everybody. In this case it involved false charges on an account.

I just looked at her and said, don't you think we should get immunity form the everyday issues and annoyances? She laughed and said THANK YOU! That's exactly how I feel.

When you are dealing with raising a child like hers or mine, it doesn't seem fair that the car should need repairing or that you get locked out. I don't mind the responsibility that comes with dealing with Maggie's extreme issues, I just want a free pass from the regular annoyances. That seems reasonable to me.

It's the little things that send me OVER THE EDGE. I can suction, speak to doctors about 1000 different procedures, and load the wheelchair into the van all at the same time without batting an eye. But if I turn the key and the battery is dead or I misplace my keys  I lose it. I can either melt into a puddle of tears or erupt in anger.

Now you know, so you might not want to be in front of me in a traffic jam.

Addendum : I wrote this and then went out. I snagged an EXCELLENT parking spot right in front of the produce store. I was in there three minutes when I realized I forgot to put money in the meter. I put the basket down and headed for the front of the store. Too late I already had a parking ticket. I neither cried nor got angry. It was too ridiculous. That broccoli cost an extra $55. And then I forgot to put it in the stir fry.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes, yes. I often say "don't I get a pass?" when this happens to me. In fact, I've been musing on a post about it and you've beat me to it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.