Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What to my wondering eyes....


I arose at the usual hour this morning so the nurse could go home. She wasn't quite done with her paperwork, so I padded to the front door to get the newspaper. As I reached to get it I figured should take down the giant Christmas Stocking that was adorning our front door. The rest of the decorations will come down this weekend, but I am rounding up some of the extraneous ones so I don't forget to put them in the box(es) when we pack it all away.

As I reached for the stocking I hesitated. Why....there was something in there! It was a pound of Sees Candy. (For those of you who don't have Sees, I am sorry for you. It is delish). The box was wrapped in the distinctive Sees Christmas wrap and just sitting there outside in the cold. I grabbed it and went inside. No card. Just a happy red box of assorted chocolate-y goodness.

It was a lovely surprise. As soon as I open it, it will be gone in a WHOOOSH! (too late just did and took my favorite...hehehhehehe)

How long was it sitting there? Since Christmas? Doubtful. Someone here would have noticed it or, if not, some passer by would have snagged it. Could it have been there when I came home last night and I just didn't notice? Possible. Is that why the dog was going crazy after I came in last night? I don't think so because I was sitting on the couch and can see the front steps and would have seen someone place it there.

My suspicion is that it came this morning from Peter, the guy who delivers the newspaper. He has been delivering our paper for years. Every year he puts a Christmas card in the paper with a self addressed envelope in case someone might want to tip him. Every year I put it aside with the best of intentions to do just that. Then I find it when I'm cleaning everything up and figure it's too late. Not this year. On Sunday I waited for him to arrive (Sunday paper is later) and I actually handed him the card with a decent tip - nothing extravagant, mind you, but I've missed a lot of years. He certainly didn't have to buy me any candy.

We had a nice chat when I gave him the card,just as we used to every morning when he delivered the paper at the same time as Maggie's bus arrived. He actually asked me if we still had a dog. I laughed and said, yes, but he sleeps through your deliveries now. Brisco used to go nuts whenever that guy was anywhere near the house, but he's old and lazy and gave up on barking at Peter. (When he gives up on the mail carriers, UPS and the oxygen guy I'll know he's over the hill).

He's a nice guy and I miss our morning hello now that he's delivering earlier. However, if he's willing to drop a box of See's now and then, I could get over missing the hellos.

In the event my suspeicions are incorrect, and the came from someone else who happens to be reading this, thank you. Whoever did it completely made my day.

Nonetheless, I meant everything I said about Peter, but if it wasn't him I 'm going to suggest he get that Sunday paper here earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.