Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Step Away from the Edge, Ma'am

I talked to Maggie’s teacher yesterday about this and that. In the course of the conversation, he told me that Maggie was being measured for her cap and gown for graduation. She’s the only 8th grader in her class, so she’s the only one from that room graduating. I will receive information about options for ordering. Will it be cap and gown or just gown? If cap, do we want it with or without tassle, etc.

I told him that the cap would be a complete waste of money for her because it will never work with the headrest on her wheelchair and, in any event, Maggie will be tossing that cap long before they ever walk (or roll) down the aisle. But I still want it to get pictures. Joe reminded me that he and his staff do have a bit of experience with kids in wheelchairs who don’t like to wear hats. Right, I said, and then there’s Maggie. We both laughed. [She flings things far across the room.]

This conversation took place while I was parking to go to an appointment. I hung up the phone and walked down the street toward my destination. I felt a smile growing across my face and had to stop and let the whole feeling wash over me. Maggie is graduating and heading to high school. Wow!

Milestones are exciting for every parent, in fact, probably more exciting than they are for the kids. But milestones for Maggie pack an especially sweet punch. She has been through so much. A lot of her life has been on the edge of the precipice. But we have pulled back from that edge lately. She is stable and healthy.

And I don’t think I appreciated that fully until that moment on the street all by myself.
The maintenance of her health is non stop and all encompassing. Her care requires 24 hour vigilance. But we are doing it, she is thriving. And that is precisely why we do it.

Mark your calendars. There will be a graduation party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.