Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Happy Birthday Maggie

Today is Maggie actual birthday. She was born 15 years ago, on March 3, 1994. That was a hard day in my life. I've written the whole story, but it's too much to think about now.
Yesterday was frustrating. Maggie stayed home from school because she is still ill. It was special olympics day, so I took her there myself. I figured she could do that much and then come home. She was dressed and ready to go in her new basketball socks. We arrived at the gym and there was no way to get close in a car. It's very pretty, set way back in a grove of trees. It looked very far away in the downpour. The kids had to walk through the rain about 50 yards to the gym. The path was full of puddles; I could see some of the kids feet were completely submerged. That was daunting.Pushing a wheelchair through standing water is very difficult.
It was also on a fairly busy narrow street and there was no where to unload the wheelchair. I called the nurse on the cell because the class was already inside. I explained my dilemma. She said they had a hard time getting the other kids in because the path was also very steep. I asked where the bus unloaded and she said they just blocked traffic for about ten minutes. It's one thing for a school bus to do that and quite another for a personal vehicle. Besides, I couldn't just leave Maggie out there while I parked the car. The closest spot was about three blocks away.
The nurse offered to come and help me, but I said, I think we have to skip this. It was POURING rain, Maggie was sick, her eye was still swollen shut, and the access was just ridiculous. Somebody was a little unclear on the concept. Special olympics should not have access issues.(No one's fault it was raining, but it's the first week of March and that's entirely likely).
Maggie was NOT happy with me, but sometimes mean moms have to make the tough calls.
I needed some Irish tea so we went to buy that. We parked inside and she never got wet. The store was a bit difficult to maneuver in the wheelchair, but we managed. She was wiped out when we got home.
In fact, she's home today as well. We're going to go say hello at school if this downpour stops. She's sick, but she has stretches where she's doing well. And it's her birthday, so we can't just hang out. I suggested a bowl of ice cream with a candle for tonight, since we had a big cake on Sunday. Remember, Maggie doesn't eat cake or ice cream. Actually I don't really eat cake either. But Steve does. And he thought that was a dumb idea. So we'll make another cake today. That will be fun for Maggie anyway.
My girl is fifteen. Amazing. Though remembering the day she was born is difficult, every day since has been a miracle. I never in a million years thought she'd be here on her 15th birthday. She's here and thriving. (Present illness notwthstanding).

6 comments:

  1. You said you have written the whole
    story of when Maggie was born. Is there a place that WE can read the story?? My girls and I would love to hear it since we follow her life now.
    Thanks!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday Maggie.....

    do you have an email address you could post? I owuld like to email you privately.....thanks....

    Ekie - ekaterina84@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY 15TH BIRTHDAY MAGGIE!!!!

    We love keeping up with you on your Mom's blog...

    Love to all,
    The Casey's
    Debbie, Anthony & Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY 15TH BIRTHDAY MAGGIE!!!!

    We love keeping up with you on you Mom's Blog..

    Love to all,
    The Casey's
    Debbie, Tony and Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi amanda - send me your email. coghlanmcdonald@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Caseys - I didn't know you were readers. We're always here. Feel free to email at anytime coghlanmcdonald@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.