Friday, November 6, 2009

Fire one..Fire two

Yesterday there were two heart-stopping moments with my darling teenage girl. I had plans to go out for about two hours. Maggie's two events were just before I went out and right after I came home. I love how she waits for me.

Around dinnertime, I was just getting ready to go meet a friend of mine whose daughter has extensive disabilities as Maggie does. I am very lucky to have a group of parents with whom I can connect. Maggie was in her bed and the nurse was just lowering the side of the bed so that we could catheterize her together before I went out. Maggie’s bed is high. The mattress is just below chest level for me. It is perfect because Maggie can be safe and the caregivers do not have to bend over constantly to tend to her needs. The side of the bed simply folds down like a flap so that it is against the bed when it is down. You have to stand back for just a second to give it room to come down.

I was standing at the head of the bed while the nurse lowered the side. We have done this a million times and it is just automatic. When the side was at about 90 degrees, Maggie moved unexpectedly and rolled right onto the outstretched wooden side. The nurse was holding this with one hand when it suddenly became 65 lbs heavier. I screeched and lurched for Maggie and lifted her right back on to the mattress without incident. Maggie looked surprised and we both looked frightened. Fely, the nurse, remained professional. She never reacted at all. I do not know how she held that thing in place but she did. Crises averted, but it is a good thing there were two people there.

I went to dinner knowing that Steve and Tim would be home a few minutes later. All was well. When I got home, Maggie was wide-awake in her bed throwing pillows and anything else she could find. I talked to her for a while and then sat and talked with Steve.

The nurse was coming in from Maggie’s bathroom and I suddenly heard the nurses alarmed voice calling “SALLY! SALLY! SALLY!” I was in there in one step. Her trach tube was out and sitting on her chest. HOLY MOLEY! This time the nurse was panicking and I was just quickly getting a new one in. We keep a supply of clean trach tubes taped to the head of her bed. The rule of thumb is to keep the correct size tube and one smaller in case there is difficulty getting a new one in. You have to move quickly so that she doesn’t get into respiratory distress. (Note: the ostomy (opening) contracts quickly). Maggie was fine, in fact, she was grinning like a Cheshire cat. She loves to make everyone jump.

We have to change her trach tube every week. There are many times that Maggie has broken the tube because she is constantly pulling on the ties. She even does it in her sleep (see picture - note the knot is on the opposite side from where she is pulling).The flange gives way and we have to jump to change it. I presumed that’s what happened this time, but no. Steve looked at it and said, "it’s not broken, she unknotted it." Apparently, while the nurse was in the bathroom and I was out of the room Maggie was bored and went to work on the ties that hold her trach in place. The trach ties are triple knotted to prevent this, but Maggie is very persistent. She was probably working on that for hours whenever she was alone.

Because of the advances in the world, many (most) trach users have Velcro ties. I laughed at that knowing that would not even present a challenge for Maggie. Now she can get triple knots out. Great. I am going to have to get out my Girl Scout manual and find some new knots.

I am meeting other friends for dinner this evening. I think I will sneak out and sneak back in.

Today's gratitude: I'm thankful for many circles of friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.