Saturday, October 26, 2013

Shaking out the cobwebs

This week was a bit of a blur. It's not that it was particularly eventful or anything; Maggie went to school and came home and the nurses came and went. I did my usual 7000 loads of laundry, dutifully folding each load as it emerged from the dryer, trying to keep that downstairs room clean after Tim and I cleaned it out last week. But all that was done in 3 days instead of 5 as I was laid out sick with a fast moving virus all day Wednesday and Thursday I still sound like someone is holding my nose when I speak, but I feel better.

It started with Tim on Sunday. He had a fever and couldn't get out of bed all day. He was sneezing a lot on Saturday as we cleaned, but I assumed it was all the dust down there. He was down Sunday through Tuesday. he slept so much i was ready to get him checked for pneumonia. Tuesday I felt like someone had punched my in the jaw. I mentioned that to Tim and he said, well, that's how it started with me. Naah. I never get sick. Then Wednesday it hit me. At first I thought it was allergies too. At 8:00 AM I called the hospital and left a message saying I didn't know if I should come in. For some strange reason, they don't want sick people working in a children's hospital. Go figure.  I felt fine, but sounded terrible. By 9:30 I knew I was actually sick and confirmed the cancellation. By 11:00AM I was sick as a dog. I didn't meet Maggie's bus on Wednesday afternoon and did not take her out to the bus on Thursday morning. In fact I didn't even wake up until 11:00 AM on Thursday, something I haven't done since college. By Friday it was over. I went back to work at the hospital a bit nasally and suffering from a head cold hangover.

Now I am hoping and praying that Maggie doesn't get it. I think back to her sudden serious illness a few weeks ago and wonder if maybe she already did. I hope so, because I cannot imagine how this one would present on Ms. Maggie. Right now she's fine. In fact she is banging on her tray and repeating "Mom, I want my breakfast now" on her talker over and over. Charming.

I better hop to.

1 comment:

  1. I think I have the same thing -- or some version of it. As has everyone in our family. It's one of those vague viruses that creep on you and then slam you. And I think the same thing must have happened with Sophie earlier -- she had so many seizures for so many days and then slept and slept. I should have known. I'm glad that ya'll are all on the mend.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.