Thursday, July 10, 2014

Satan, sweatshirts and Sara

Very weird day.  In the space of just over an hour the following three things happened to me.

1) I was having a conversation with a lovely woman with a thick Jamaican accent when things got weird. When she learned about Maggie she suddenly had to share her philosophy about disability. It seems, according to her, that disability and any other "affliction" is the work of Satan. My father or his father or his grandfather or his grandfather (all men, which is interesting) did something bad and Satan uses that to cause affliction many generations later.

Wow. Wow. Wow.

This was more than I could handle. I really didn't want to debate the point, because I went from being charmed by this woman to being freaked out in a very short period of time.

I left and went to a lunch meeting which was lovely in every way.

2. When leaving the lunch meeting I was chatting and suddenly found myself staring at a woman walking up behind us. I couldn't believe my eyes. The woman was wearing a sweatshirt that I was sure said "Maggie McDonald."  As she got closer I realized it actually said "Carnegie Mellon" and I had to somehow explain my distraction. (and Now I really want one of those sweatshirts)

Strange. Strange. Strange.

3. We walked about 10 feet and I saw a woman I knew many years ago when the boys were young. I run into her periodically, but it had been a while. She is odd and always has been. We exchanged pleasantries and she asked about the kids and I said they were good and I asked about hers etc. Then she said, "And how is Sara?" I paused and said, "Sara? Do you mean Maggie?" She said oh of course.

 I felt my lunch partner put her hand on my back - a small gesture that I appreciated so so much. She literally had my back.

I paused again and said, "Actually Maggie passed away unexpectedly a few months ago." She was understandably shocked and said, "No one told me. Why didn't anyone tell me?"

I thought to myself, well, maybe that's because you thought her name was Sara. But I didn't say a word. I just excused myself quickly.

Weird. weird. weird.

The remainder of the day was uneventful.

Thank goodness.





3 comments:

  1. I choked when I read the Satan stuff, and I have nothing in my mouth but saliva. So, so weird. You had a surreal day. It's not quite a full moon. You still have your sense of humor, and many hands at your back. xoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Something tells me that Maggie would have laughed uproariously in her way and banged that switch over and over if she'd heard the Jamaican Satan woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is among the most important info
    for me. And i am glad reading your article.
    But want to remark on few general things, The web site style is great, the articles is really nice :
    D. Good job, cheers

    My webpage; natural green cleanse pill

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.