Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Wild Eyed Driving

Not a lot of sleep last night.

I went to bed at the normal time, around 11:00PM. Tim went out just as I was going to bed. His plan was to help his cousin with an experiment for class. They needed six males and were just a block away. He said he'd be home at 12:30. I left the hall light on and went to bed. At 2:30 I woke up and the light was still on. I know he's 19, but it still makes me nervous.

I texted him. He returned the text, they decided to go to Ocean Beach to watch the meteor shower. In all my escapades when I was young I never once used the meteor shower line. But it was actually true, I heard it on the news yesterday. Copernicus returned home shortly thereafter.

I went back to sleep only to have the phone ring at 4:30. It was the nurse from downstairs. Maggie pulled out her trach. I was downstairs in a flash. The nurse was holding the old one in place. It was amazing she could reach the phone from there. I went right to work and put in a new one and tied it. I went back to bed again, but sleep was elusive.

All I could think about was needing to stay awake to drive to Sacramento and back today. That's 200 miles driving alone. On very little sleep. And, unlike my scientific son, I am NOT 19.
That's why caffeine is my friend and constant companion. I will just wire up and hit the road.

I have to be back here before Maggie gets home from school. The guy is coming at 3:00 to repair or replace one of the the suction machines. Generally it's good news when something "doesn't suck."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.