Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sticky Wicket


I'm in a bind. I have to figure out a way to stop lifting Maggie.

Whatever this injury is to my arm/shoulder/neck or whatever is getting worse every day. My doctor appointment is tomorrow, finally. I asked to be called if they had a cancellations, but it didn't happen. I have been counting the days until the appointment. Now it's less than 24 hours away - hopefully that's only one more night of not sleeping because every movement sends screaming pain down my arm.

It does not take a rocket scientist to know that I will have to stop using my arm for a while. I purchased a sling yesterday, just to keep myself from using it. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to to do or not, but it seems to help somewhat. Because I had the sling on I couldn't use my left arm to close the car door, or to release the parking brake or to shut off the alarm that the wheelchair lock makes when Maggie's not in the car. Guess what? I have ANOTHER arm that was capable of doing all those things. (Ok, I took the brake off with my foot). That was helpful. This will help me rest it for the easy things, but there are other things that I cannot avoid. Lifting Maggie is one of them.

Maggie's regular day nurse cannot lift her at all. I have to be here to get her out of the chair and onto the bed for her at least every three hours. If Tim or Steve are here they can do it, but they aren't generally around - they are either at school or work. Maggie can't wait because her medical procedures are needed and she has to be in her bed.

I had a helper in here for several months but she abruptly quit. No drama, no problem, she just stopped showing up. She didn't even say goodbye to Maggie, which is upsetting and disrespectful. Still, I'm desperate. I asked her to return for a few weeks but she declined. It seems she'd rather be unemployed than work with Maggie. Ouch! I know this woman has her issues, but I helped her out when she was down and I really wish she would extend the same courtesy. I do get tired of being used like that.

We do have a lift system in the ceiling, and I simply have to start using it more. It is cumbersome and a lift/transfer that would take a person 10 seconds will take five minutes with this thing. Further, I'm not sure it will help with resting my arm because we will have to get the sling underneath Maggie in the chair somehow, which means I need to adjust her several times to get it in place. Those adjustments will be just as difficult. We do use it to transfer her to the shower, but getting the sling under her while she's in bed is much easier and it just stays under her in the shower.

My other option is to use a different nurse for a while. And I could, but I can't. Fely has been here for 15 years. I simply cannot do that to her at this point.

I guess I'm going to try to find another person to be here in the afternoons for a while. It needs to be a female, for Maggie but even a strong high schooler will do. It's kind of a strange job, because the need is for someone for about 15 minutes - maybe 30 when she gets a shower (it takes two to make sure she doesn't fall). They can stay longer and read a story or something

Wanted: strong female to assist in the care of disabled teenager, hours 3:30 -3:45 PM Monday-Thursday. If you want to return at 6:30 - 6:45, I will pay for that too.

I'm sure the line will be up the block like the nannies in Mary Poppins.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh -- this constant need for help, for respite. I'm sorry that you've had so much trouble with your shoulder and hope it's better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.